How is this for a late breakfast in bed? My simplest dosa for Srivalli’s dosa mela – let’s start with the basics!
In fact, all I am going to do is copy the relevant portion from the mint masala dosa and paste it here with alterations where required. here goes…
Dish: Dosa, Gluten free, vegan, savoury pancakes
For the dosa:
Par-boiled rice / Ukda chaawal – 31/2 cups
De-husked black gram dal / Urad dal – 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds / Methi dana – 1tsp.
Preparation of the dosa batter:
1. Wash and soak the rice and dal(With methi dana) in separate vessels in enough water (Water should be nearly double the quantity of rice/dal) overnight or for 4 to 5 hours.
2. Drain and grind the dal using fresh water till soft, light and fluffy. I keep the batter a little thick – dropping consistency but should coat the ladle thickly when mixed.
3. Drain and grind the rice into a smooth batter – while grinding rice add water little by little as the rice has already soaked up enough water and tends to become runny if you add water in the same quantities as to the dal.
(Tip:If you are grinding in a mixie and not idly grinder use ice cold water to prevent the motor from getting hot – it affects the taste of the dosa.)
Beat the two batters together in a clock-wise motion with a ladle till they blend well and set aside for an hour (For 4 – 5 hrs. if you like it fermented – I prefer dosas not fermented much)
1. Heat a griddle (I use non-stick and almost no oil but if you have a calcutta tawa the dosas turn out better. Remember to oil the surface with a half cut onion or potato pricked with a fork / a clean paper). The tawa is ready when water drops sprinkled on the surface start dancing around immediately before drying up.
2. Reduce to medium heat and pour a ladleful of batter in the centre of the griddle spreading in a clockwise circular motion to the outside till thin enough.
4. Flip with a pancake turner and cook the other side for a few seconds.